Pet Owner Responsibilities
Pet owners in Willow Ridge are required to abide by the Shawnee City regulations listed below. Violation may result in a fine or other punishment. Complaints should be reported directly to city officials by phone or online by submitting a Citizen Service Request. Stray animals may be reported to the Police Department by calling (913) 631-2150 and asking to speak with a Community Service officer. Contact the City Clerk’s office at (913) 742-6014 for more information related to animal permits.
* All dogs and cats must have a rabies certificate signed by a licensed veterinarian indicating the rabies tag number and expiration date. This certificate must also show the owners name and address, the animal’s description and age, and whether the animal is spayed or neutered.
* All dog and cats must wear an identification tag or plate attached to the animal's collar when it is not indoors or in a vehicle. The tag or plate must contain a telephone number so that an animal can be returned if they get separated from their owner. If you have a current City tag, you may substitute the tag for this requirement until the expiration of the tag. The City will maintain a database of all animals licensed until all licenses have expired.
* Pit Bulls are considered dangerous animals and are prohibited by City ordinance.
* Your pets must be confined to your property. When off your property, all dogs must be on a leash, in a cage, or in a car. Your pet must be under your control at all times. There are off-leash areas in Shawnee Mission Park located at 7900 Renner Road which residents are invited to use.
* The Shawnee Municipal code prohibits any pet owner from allowing their dog to bark, whine, howl, bray, cry, crow or emit other vocal noises in an excessive fashion, which is so loud, continuous or untimely, as to disturb the peace and quiet of a member of the public.
* You must provide your pet with a clean, dry shelter. Do not leave your dog unattended outside without adequate food and water.
* It is unlawful to allow your pet to leave animal waste on any public place or any property not owned by you. All animal waste shall be regularly removed from your property and disposed of in an acceptable manner.
If a dog or cat is not wearing an identification tag and the Community Service officer is unable to locate the owner, the animal is taken to Great Plains SPCA, 9827 W 67th Street, Merriam, KS, (913) 831-7722. The Lost Pet Center is located across from the shelter and is open daily from 11:00 a.m. to 7:00 p.m.